The benefits of CBD for people are widely advertised, but what you may not know is that it’s also incredibly useful for your canine friend too. Today, we’re going to learn more about CBD and exactly how it can help your dog!
Just in case you didn’t know, CBD is short for cannabidiol and it comes from the buds and flowers of the cannabis plant. Before you panic, there’s no ‘high’ associated with CBD because there’s no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol).
You might have seen marijuana and hemp, and these both contain THC. While hemp only contains around 0.3% THC and is therefore used in similar products to CBD, marijuana can contain around 30% THC. Currently, hemp-derived oil is legal across all states while marijuana-derived CBD oil is mostly illegal.
Benefits of CBD for Your Dog
- Prevent Seizures – Firstly, the anticonvulsant properties of CBD mean that tremors, tics, seizures, and spasms are all controlled. If your dog struggles with these problems, this is a fantastic solution.
- Control Pain – As we know for humans, CBD is also considered a strong painkiller. In truth, CBD can help with all sorts of health problems.
- Help Nausea – Some dogs struggle with vomiting and nausea, and a growing number of owners are deploying CBD since it is antiemetic. Simultaneously, this will also boost the appetite of your pet.
- Encourage Homeostasis – For some vets, they have recommended CBD to treat some illnesses while also encouraging positive health. When used as a regular supplement, some owners say that the overall wellbeing of their dog improves.
- Reduce Inflammation – Again, this is another reason so many people use CBD. Whether it’s the aches and pains of daily life or a particular health condition, CBD is known to reduce inflammation in your dog just as well as yourself.
- Limit Stress and Anxiety – Thankfully, we now have access to several studies that have shown a link between CBD and various mental conditions. Sadly, dogs are prone to stress, anxiety, and they can even show signs of certain phobias. With regular CBD, the dog gets the help they need.
- Slow Tumor Growth – In rats, there’s evidence that CBD provides protection against colon cancer. Not only does it slow the growth of existing tumors, it also prevents the spreading of other tumors. There’s a chance that it will do the same in our doggy friends.
Tips for Buying CBD Products
To finish this short guide, we want to provide advice for those considering CBD products for their dog. With this in mind, we’ve compiled some top tips below!
- Don’t buy a poorer product just to save a little money. Generally speaking, the purer and higher quality products come with a more expensive price tag. Sadly, cheaper products have been known to contain additives such as pesticides, heavy metals, and herbicides.
- It’s hard to administer CBD to a dog, so we recommend buying a tincture or oil. Additionally, this will allow you to control exactly how much CBD you provide each time.
- If possible, choose an organic product; this is the best way to ensure that it’s free from fungicides, pesticides, and solvents.
- Assess the manufacturer’s certificate which explains the CBD content in the product. Some products advertised as special CBD oils will actually only contain a tiny percentage of CBD. Elsewhere, make sure it has little or no THC.
CBD can certainly help your dog, and we hope this guide has helped you to get started today!